The very thing that started this podcast, my first blog called Surviving My Past, lead to becoming a coach, and what has been driving me for years now, has been my own personal journey of healing from the past trauma in my life. The childhood sexual abuse between the ages of 5-10, the endless bullying in elementary and middle school, the emotional neglect, all of it was something that I suppressed for decades. Once my journey began though, there was no looking back.
Throughout the years of this podcast I’ve shared my own journey with you and talked to many incredible guests; clinicians, coaches, advocates and every day people who have overcome tremendous odds and now use their story to help inspire you.
If there’s one thing I’ve learned during my own ongoing healing, and after talking with so many experts, is that healing is your own personal experience. No two stories are alike, no two journey’s are alike, no two experiences are completely the same. How we start and what the journey is like a long the way is what makes it so unique and ultimately drives you to continue striving to reach each goal of experiencing life in a new way. To ultimately discover the you you’ve always wanted to be; free from your past.
My guest on this episode of the podcast, the incredible Michele Rosenthal is here to share some of her expertise in the area of PTSD and trauma recovery, including how her journey started and some of the experiences she’s had a long the way that have helped her to arrive at a place of being able to not only share her story but work with others to help them facilitate what their healing experience will be.
Michele Rosenthal’s story, and her work, has been featured on NBC, CBS, The Washington Post, Women’s World, Psychology Today, and many other outlets. She is a Trauma Recovery Strategist who began her healing journey in 1998 and has taken her recovery and made it her own by creating a healing intention and taking control of her life so that she could experience complete freedom.
As she outlines on her website: I learned about the importance of hope and belief – from inside myself and from those working with me. I also learned about the critical elements of self-empowerment, vision, meaning and identity. Plus, how we can harness those core strengths and apply them to healing trauma.
By the time I completed my trauma recovery transformation I’d learned a lot about what it takes to release the past, connect to the present, and build a new future. I’d also developed a really deep desire to do something with all that knowledge. Since then I have made it my focus to inspire, guide and assist survivors to overcome depression, worry, and fear as they rebuild their lives after trauma and adversity.
During my chat with Michele we cover:
- 4:45 – What does it mean to fully heal from trauma and what does that look like; how do we begin to facilitate that?
- 10:05 – We discuss the layers that make up Shame and Blame in trauma recovery. How do you get to a point of being able to share our story, and work through the fear that doing so creates. (as you’ll hear, fear manifests itself in many ways during this process)
- 14:45 – We continue chatting about Fear in regards to moving forward in healing. How does fear hold you back? The problems with trying to control healing, so it moves at the pace you feel it should..and why that doesn’t always work out. What being obsessed with healing can do to us and for us.
- 18:28 – Choosing your identity coming out of trauma, and how to continue that development. Creating and mastering the resources you need to sustain the changes you work so hard to implement.
- 24:40 – What is a Healing Rampage, and what did that look like for Michele. The process of clawing your way through everything that trauma has dumped on you, and giving 100% of yourself to the determination to be free. We also discuss what showing up for yourself means, and how healing is not just a once a week therapy session.We also touch on the benefits and necessity of working with a trauma informed therapist.
- 31:32 – Michele and I discuss some of the benefits of Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) in healing from trauma and overcoming anxiety. The process of creating new neural pathways using the science of how the brain works. Using the language of the brain and how it works to your benefit to speed up healing and experience empowerment in such a more efficient way that feels natural and good to you as an individual.
- 38:38 – We wrap up by sharing more about the importance of creating and developing the tools that work for you, to sustain you once you’ve begun your healing journey and once you begin to reach the goals you’ve set for yourself, so you can handle what life throws at you and the struggles that will ultimately show up.
Don’t just take my word for it by simply reading the highlights…. Go ahead click play right here in this post or find us on your favorite podcasting app and listen to the insight and empowering words of Michele Rosenthal. Be sure and head over to MyTraumaCoach.com for more information about working with Michele, the 3 books she’s written, check out videos she’s created, and the podcast she facilitated and read the many testimonials from clients and colleagues who’ve worked with her.
Thank you again Michele for joining me on Beyond Your Past, I’m looking forward to talking with you on the show again!
-Matthew Pappas, CLC, MPNLP
All conversation and information exchanged during participation on the Beyond Your Past Podcast, on BeyondYourPast.com, and BeyondYourPastRadio.com is intended for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing on these podcasts or posted on the above mentioned websites are supplements for or supersedes the relationship and direction of your medical or mental health providers.